Friday, December 26, 2008

THE Christmas Gift

Today I have been ruminating in the spirit of this Christmas season. What joy comes with the season! Dazzling store displays, great shopping bargains, parties and celebrations, Christmas cards in the mail, pictures of friends, letters of how the year has been, decorated trees, shared meals, Christmas cookies, and gift giving. All of which I look forward to each year and this year like others, I have so much enjoyed sharing the season with children and friends.

Today though, I have been wondering if I have really grasped the immensity of the Greatest Christmas Gift of all time - the gift of the Son of God fully divine and fully human! A Savior is born! He came to love us, to teach us to love, to bring forgiveness, and ultimately to offer to each of us the gift of eternal life. Sometimes I think this astonishing gift becomes just part of the Christmas story that I have memorized over the years. What questions might I ponder to help me examine my own acceptance of this great and glorious gift…

· Have I overlooked the depth of the joy as I focus on my own desire to enjoy the festivities?
· What has Christ offered to me, personally, all wrapped up, that is just waiting for me to open and receive?
· How will I enjoy this gift of Christ this year?
· A large part of receiving this gift is to give it away, how will I give of this gift this year?
· How will people around me know that I have opened and received the gift of Christ?

Wow…this gift we are freely offered brings a life everlasting, filled with wisdom, peace, and compassion - - who could want for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment