Saturday, December 20, 2008

Thinking about the future...

Recently I was with a group of friends and we were wondering just how the future of the car companies might impact our community. At work today I was lamenting with a co-worker about investments in the big three that were once stalwarts are now downgraded to junk status and remembering how we used to contemplate “which” of the big three was the best investment. Everyday I read the news headlines that shout with variations of the potential options that range from the auto companies will be bailed out to “may they rust in peace”. Which will it be? Just how bad could it get?

I read a newspaper article today that asked the question – “Who has the clearest vision to see through this speculation?” When I read this, I immediately responded to myself. Doesn’t take much for me as a believer to answer that question, without a doubt - God is the one with the clear vision. Whew, I should feel better knowing that I have the right answer to that one!

But, that question stayed with me all day. I found myself asking further questions of myself. So, God knows, but, what does that mean to me today? Just knowing that God knows what will happen, is that enough to bring me to a place of peace? Since I am the world’s best “fix-it” person, I also wrestled with questions like…what can I do? How can I fix this? When do I? Where?

Then, it occurred to me…God doesn’t want me to know what will happen – not now anyway. The future’s NOT for me to know. I live right here, right now, today. I am who I am today. I tried to settle with those thoughts a little.

Now, I realize, I am asking myself all the wrong questions. Instead, I should be asking:
· What steps can I take now to prepare myself spiritually for whatever comes along?
· Am I living by the scripture “be anxious about nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God”?
· Am I faithful to my time in prayer?
· Have I made myself fully available to God?
· Am I giving God glory?
· I am an “outsider” to the auto industry, am I being sensitive and responsive to those around me that are more directly impacted?

No comments:

Post a Comment