Friday, February 12, 2010

worship preview

This Sunday we celebrate the Day of Love, also known as Valentine's Day. While the origins of Valentine's Day are rather murky, the U.S.
Greeting Cards Association estimates Valentine's Day is now the second-most popular card-giving day of the year, behind Christmas. 
Florists, candy-makers, and restauranteurs also tend to do a brisk business as folks seek ways to share and celebrate love.
 
Whatever plans you may or may not have on this Valentine's Day, I hope you will join us in worship as we explore the ways God seeks us to be His valentine and the lengths he goes to have him be ours as well.  In our service, we will take a look at a passage from Hosea 2:14-23 (included below).  Here, Hosea reveals the nature and depth of God's love in a way that may surprise you.  While we often think of God as Father, Judge, Creator, and Friend, here Hosea portrays God as a Lover head-over-heals in love with His people. 
 
My hope is that as we ponder this passage, we will arrive at a deeper appreciation for a God who invites us to be eternally His as He woos us by His love and grace.  
 
Join us in the festivities as we celebrate this dimension of the God who passionately loves us and invites us to love Him passionately in return.
 
To prepare, please read the Hosea passage and ponder these questions:  have you ever thought of God in the way described by Hosea?  what does knowing this about God mean to you? why do you think God is like this? what difference might this reality make in your life? 
 
I look forward to seeing you on Sunday!
 
--Bryan
 
Hosea 2: 14-23
 
"Here's what I'm going to do:  I'm going to start all over again.
I'm taking her back out into the wilderness where we had our first date, and I'll court her.
I'll give her bouquets of roses.
I'll turn Heartbreak Valley into Acres of Hope.
'At that time'--this is God's Message still--
'you'll address me , 'Dear Husband!'
Never again will you address me, 'My slave-master.'
And then I'll marry you for good--forever!
I'll marry you good and proper, in love and tenderness.
Yes, I'll marry you and neither leave you nor let you go." (The Message).
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment