Thursday, October 1, 2009

worship preview

I recently upgraded my cell phone.  After I finished filling out all the paper work, Katie, my sales rep., told me that I had three days to return the phone if I changed my mind.  That bit of information was appreciated.  It felt reassuring to know that my final decision didn't have to be made immediately but could be postponed a few days.  
 
In contrast to what I was told by Katie, a man in an encounter with Jesus isn't given extra time to make a decision about something far more important than a cell phone.  This encounter is narrated in the gospel of Luke with these words:  "Jesus said to a man, 'Follow me.'  But the man replied, 'Lord, first let me go and bury my father.'
Jesus said to him, 'Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.'"
 
This is certainly one of the harder sayings of Jesus.  This Sunday, we will ponder this teaching together to explore its meaning for us.  As you prepare for worship, you might ask yourself, "why does Jesus turn down the man's request for a delay in answering the call to discipleship?  what does 'let the dead bury the dead mean'?  what is your emotional reaction to this passage?  what might be an implication of this passage in your life?
 
I look forward to seeing what God has in store for us this Sunday as we worship together.
 
--Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment