Saturday, July 5, 2014

Leaving day

Kenyan Sunset
Soon, very soon, the vans will arrive

to ferry us to the waiting plane,

poised to wing us home.

So I pack my suitcase, tucking mementos into clothes

and laying them alongside shoes and belts

before zipping it shut.

It's time to go home. And so my heart,

on tiptoes, begins to look west,

anticipating joyous reunion with the Dear Ones

to whom I'm joined.


It's time to return to my village, my people, the Ones

to whom I'm joined.

Whom I carried within while I've

pilgrimed through Kenyan land.

And yet, I depart with stowaways, who hide in a newly

vacated space within my heart.

They've migrated to that place which opened up

when some part of me-my heart, my soul?-


Declared itself Kenyan and chose to declare fidelity

to the sisters and brothers in Christ.

A holy exchange has happened.

I go, yet I stay.

They stay, yet they travel now to my other home.

In Christ!
Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment